Knight Keystor

A record of my journey of chess improvement.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The End?

"Pre-script" (is there such a thing???) - If you aren't up for reading this admittedly long post, please at least read the last paragraph and know that I do plan to stay "semi-active."

Well, it's been about a month since I've been to the club or played a game (online or off.) I've spent some time doing tactics (and am planning to do some more today,) but it has been a very small amount of time in comparison to the pace that I've kept up for over a year.

Before I explain what has happened, allow me to make it perfectly clear that I have not "burnt out" on chess...nor have I gotten tired of tactics. I still get and will continue to get immense enjoyment out of both. I'm one of those strange people that thinks it is fun to do 1,000+ tactics in a period of a few hours. I still plan to enjoy chess and everything involved with it for years to come...it'll just be much more infrequent. Now...with that out of the way...

Over the past month, I have come to the realization (although I'm not sure that's the best word as I've always known this but not thought much about it) that I am putting a very significant amount of time and effort (along with a less significant, but still decent, amount of money) into something that I will never get anything out of (aside of course from the aforementioned enjoyment.) Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that...but I've decided that if I am going to put that time and effort into something, it might as well be something that has at least the potential to give me some sort of return on my investment of time and effort...

After a fair bit of reading and research, I have gotten involved in the world of Fixed Limit Texas Hold 'em Poker. It is very much a game of strategy and statistics...and I have found that I enjoy it at least as much as I do chess. I study, I practice, I use a database to keep track of my played hands and look for mistakes in my play...you'd be amazed how many similarities there are between chess improvement and poker improvement. Most poker players don't put much effort into improvement because of a mistaken over-emphasis on the factor of luck. I'm already used to putting a significant amount of work into improving at something I enjoy. I figure that if I put as much effort into this as I have into chess, there's no telling how far I can go with it...and I have to say...an "expert" rating in poker is quite a bit more profitable than an expert rating in chess.

In closing, I'd like to thank everybody for the support, encouragement, and kind comments that I've been given during my time with the knights. I'd ask you not to take me off your sidebars just yet. I do plan on staying active by posting at least once a month in regards to the infrequent continuation of my chess journey. Don't worry, this won't become a poker blog. See you next time...

9 Comments:

Blogger hisbestfriend said...

Good luck to you. As someone, who thinks that they are reasonably good at poker, it is simply very very difficult to beat the rake/tipping in live limit poker. The truth is, in limit poker it is largely a game of math, and the errors are not very large, yet the rake is inexolerable. And luck goes around. Game selection is probably the number one way of making money. Gamblers ruin is probably one of the big ways to get knocked out of the game. Always, always remember money management.

Online poker is alot better because the rake/tip is much much less.

However, all of the real money is in tourney poker, in overlay and in other ways of getting money. However, it is a big investment. But you can actually make a living here. Just like any game though, you have to fight everyone that is trying to eat at the same pie.

But I know a lot of chess players that are now poker players, just because how many trophies, really? And class awards are just too hard to come by.

6/02/2007 1:01 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Chess trophies don't taste good. Money from poker: delicious.

6/02/2007 8:05 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Thanks for the comments...

blue devil: That's certainly the truth :)

hisbestfriend: Thanks for the tips. I'm playing online, starting out small (0.10/0.20 tables,) starting out for free ($50 free money promotion,) paying much attention to bankroll management, and being very picky when it comes to table selection (primarily loose, passive tables.) I've already gotten enough of a reputation as a "decent player" (at least at the micro-limits) that there are a few players that will leave the table if I sit down :) I'm not sure I'll ever go "pro"...even if I become consistently profitable...but you never know.

Ron

6/04/2007 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and this was the first article I read.

I wish you good luck but hope that you will play some friendly games of chess in the future.

6/09/2007 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mean to discourage you, but most poker pros make around minimum wage. I wish you luck in striving to be the exception :)

6/09/2007 7:35 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Chess Teacher - Thanks...and I do plan to continue to play some infrequent, friendly chess :)

Rise & Shine - Not to worry, I'm not necessarily trying to make a living from it, just to make a bit of money from a hobby :)

6/11/2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger transformation said...

all well said, and well conceived.

wishing you all the best, and good luck.

before i go: i was a senior broker on wall street. outside watching many tables on tv, i am not a poker player but greatly appreciate the game, the drama, the characters. and of course, the math.

i have traded options extensively and done statistical and analytic modeling of market behavior and predictive systems. his bestfriends comment about table selection being a major factor sounds about right!

i dont know you, but sense this is an absolutely good decision.

i love chess, aim to continue, but it does lead NOWHERE.

if this doesnt take you where you wish to go--and i am being very formal in saying this--then it will show you clearly where and how you need to go next.

warmly, david

6/14/2007 2:32 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Hey David/dktransorm,

I meant to answer your comment a while back and unfortunately ended up forgetting. I wanted to say thank you for your thoughts and comments. I find it interesting to learn of your involvement in the markets as a professional. Do you still do that for a living? I played around with option spreads for a while and enjoyed it quite a bit...mostly calendar spreads, verticals, and various combinations thereof. Anyway, thanks again for your kind words.

Ron

7/07/2007 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also did that... leave chess to play Hold'em... and now I'm back to chess. The money is nice but the people aren't the same and the game isn't as challenging as chess. Hope you're doing well and enjoying it!

- Wil

1/30/2009 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker