Knight Keystor

A record of my journey of chess improvement.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Another Win vs the Club Expert!

This one is really exciting for me due to the fact that it is one of my first games with my newly minted Tarrasch Variation in the French. What a confidence booster in a new line!

Chris abandoned a bishop on move 17 thinking that it was immune to capture because of some back rank trickery. He missed that after attacking my queen with 18...Rad8 that I had the logical reply 19.Qe7, which left me up a piece and with a perfectly safe back rank. After the game he said that he was disappointed to have missed the opportunity of 19...c4, but I don't think that it wouldn't have worked anyway because of 20.Rae1, which would have been my reply had he played it instead of the 19...f5 that he did play. You can see it all here:

Ron - Chris [C09]
Unrated Club Game - No Clock - 18.04.2007
1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 c5 4.Ngf3 cxd4 5.exd5 exd5 6.Nxd4 Nc6 7.Bb5 Bd7 8.N2f3 Nf6 9.0–0 Be7 10.Re1 0–0 11.Bg5 Ne4 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Bxe7 Qxe7 14.Nd2 Qf6 15.Nxe4 dxe4 16.Rxe4 c5 17.Nb3 Qxb2 18.Qxd7 Rad8 19.Qe7 f5 20.Ree1 c4 21.Qe6+ Chris Resigns 1–0

In regard to my training, I think I'm finally going to get started on PCT Tactics Module-4 on Monday. I will have achieved all of my review goals (listed in my March 1st post) by then. Also, I received my copy of Play the Ruy Lopez a couple of days ago. So far I'm very impressed with both the writing and the analysis. I'll be sure to get a mini-review up in the next few days. See you then!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Club expert and he leaves his Bishop hanging like that? Ouch!

Nice Tarrasch though ;-)

4/19/2007 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Club expert and he leaves his Bishop hanging like that? Ouch!

Nice Tarrasch though ;-)

4/19/2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

dutchdefence,

Thanks :)

The hanging Bishop was purposeful, but based on a miscalculation. He thought that after hitting my queen with Rad1, I'd be forced to retreat, allowing 19...Qxa1+ 20.Nxa1 Rd1+ with mate to follow or allowing a material win such as 19.Qg4 f5. He missed the saving move 19.Qe7 (19.Qb5 also leaves white ahead, but it is not quite as strong...anything else loses.) I saw Qe7 immediately, but still spent a fair bit of time double-checking it because his analysis is usually more correct than mine...so when I think I have a winning line against him, I'm often missing something...but in this case it turned out that I wasn't :)

He's a very strong player and generally wins the majority of the games that we play. I've been playing against him regularly for a little over a year and have only won four games and drawn two or three...and that's out of a total of at least 50+ games. His USCF rating is currently 1875, but was as high as 2050+ when he was playing in tournaments regularly.

Thanks,
Ron

4/20/2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Nice game.

That book by Greet is amazing. I am VERY glad I switched to the Ruy, especially the Worral variation that he advocates is fun.

4/20/2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Thanks BDK...I haven't yet had the opportunity to assay the Worral in a game yet, but I very much like what I've read so far.

Thanks,
Ron

4/20/2007 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker