Knight Keystor

A record of my journey of chess improvement.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Chessbase Support Sucks

I've heard this sentiment before, but this is the first time that I've had a chance to experience it myself. I came across a bug in Deep Fritz 10 back in December. Although I've since found ways to work around it, it's a big annoyance and a fairly major issue.

I e-mailed Chessbase support in early January with a description of the problem. We e-mailed back and forth a few times to nail the details down and get a sample database to them that exhibits the problem. After that I didn't hear from them for a month, so I e-mailed them in early February to ask the status. I was told that they had lost the database that I had sent and could I kindly re-send it. So I did...and another month went by.

I e-mailed them again at the beginning of this month asking about the status...I have yet to hear back. I've pretty much given up. I'll just deal with it and hope that it will eventually get fixed in one of their updates.

The latest wrinkle is that I have noticed when I hit 's' in the board window to set up a new game/position that the checkbox for black to castle long is always unchecked by default. I'm sure that's somehow related to the whole issue, but even if I make sure to check that box when I set up a new starting position and then enter the game from there, once it gets saved into the database the problem again arises. So that setting is getting turned off at some point during the save process. Ah well...life goes on.

In other news, I'm continuing with my review. I've been back through everything once, but wasn't too happy with my performance in PCT Tactics Module-2, so I will run through it a few more times before moving on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Yeah, they suck for support. And their documentation blows. They could invest a few thousand bucks and create some kick-ass documentation.

3/13/2007 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not only support that sucks on ChessBase: don't give an opinion on an article if they ask for it, because they will bend your opinion to their purpose.
Even in such a way that it looks like you agree with the article!
And if you get a little bit too critical, even if it is well funded, then they will cut your story short in such a way that it gets off topic, and you look like a donkey talking jive.
Yep, that's Chessbase.

7/07/2012 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker