Knight Keystor

A record of my journey of chess improvement.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Fritz 10/Deep Fritz 10 Problem?

I'm having a very strange problem with Deep Fritz 10. If anyone else has either version of Fritz 10, can you try to replicate this and let me know if you have the same problem? This is somewhat difficult to explain, so please bear with me. I have found that in some cases, infinite analysis mode gives incorrect information once a game has been saved in the database. It seems to happen in games where castling long is a possibility. I'll give two examples that I have been able to replicate 100% of the time:

In the first case, I paste the following moves into a new game:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bg5 dxe4 5.Nxe4 Be7 6.Bxf6 gxf6 7.Nf3 b6 8.Bc4 Bb7 9.Qe2 Nd7 10.0-0-0 c6 11.Rhe1 Qc7 12.g3

Now, if I turn on infinite analysis mode, 12...0-0-0 is possible and is the first or second choice depending on the depth. If I save this game into a database, then close and re-open the game, 12...0-0-0 is not included in the analysis and Fritz WILL NOT let me enter the move at all...as if it were illegal or something.

The second example is even more dramatic:

1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 5.a3 Bxc3+ 6.bxc3 c4 7.Qg4 g6 8.Nf3 Qa5 9.Bd2 Nh6 10.Qh3 Nf5 11.g4 Nxd4 12.cxd4 Qb6 13.Bg2 Nc6 14.Qh6 Nxd4 15.0-0 Bd7

Now at this point, if I turn on infinite analysis, 16.Bg5 is the number one move at a depth of 16-ply and a score of 3.84 in favor of white. If I save this game into a database, then close and re-open it, then turn on infinite analysis, 16.Qg7 is the number one move at a depth of 16-ply with a score of 9.92 in favor of white!!! After a bit of digging, I realized that the reason for the difference is that after saving and re-opening the game, Fritz is assuming that 16...0-0-0 is illegal for some reason!?

If anyone can confirm whether this is a problem with Fritz 10 (or preferably Deep Fritz 10, since that is what I have,) I would greatly appreciate it. The two examples have been 100% repeatable for me, so if it is a problem with the program and not my computer, somebody should be able to replicate it.

Thanks,
Ron

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks a good idea to notify the developers.

12/24/2006 4:06 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Hi tempo,

Yeah, I plan on it...I was just wanting to make sure that it's a problem with the program and not just with my computer before I let them know.

Thanks,
Ron

12/24/2006 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I'm a member of the fritz family since ages &
the first one was bought in the usa by my brother for me.

Fritz is a great software which has all round features thus enhansing improvement in play for tournament level & club strength level.

I got my fritz -10 this friday 19/1/2006 & i just couldn't wait for this magic date.

Most low strength players make the mistake of playing with GM Level softwares like fritz/shredder etc directly at its highest strength thus frustrating & getting bored beaten. Instead suggest -take advantage of the coaching features & the coach's comments on all your wrong moves will be real eye openers for future play.

Fritz 10 has gary kasparov & a host of other GM's teaching you various aspects.

Please take advantage & improve your play with the world's best chess software.Each moment will be thrilling.
Make your environs quiet & dim lit in the evening with soft music (probably fritz 10 may be having it -'cos fritz 6 has Bach etc)
& get on to enjoy the game with fritz coach by your side to guide.you would be playing with a GM Level software.

Happy playing all your life.Also do enter local tournaments to test your improvement.

Best regards
PRASAD LBV

2/15/2007 2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear all-pls read as 19.01.2007 of abv published comment

rgds/prasad lbv
india

2/15/2007 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker